What is Shape Note Music?
- It is something anyone can do.
- It is sung a cappella (without instrumental accompaniment)
in three or four parts.
- It uses shaped note heads to indicate intervals between notes.
As an example, a simple scale in the key of C would look like:
- It is participatory music, not performance music. Singers
face each other in a hollow square and take turns leading songs.
- It has a distinctive sound: modal, open chords, octave doubling,
- It is usually sung at full volume in an exuberant outpouring
of sound and feeling.